Saturday, January 10, 2009

2008 Recap

Well, after 4 stories in January 08, I stopped posting. Why? Because I had a major change in my job situation.

In January, my boss Don Turner came to me and said, "As you know, the Company isn't growing the way we had planned. Credit is hard to find, the move-ins have lost their value, and we're giving you the one-year notice called for in your contract." So, I would continue to work for a month or so and then sit at home and collect a year's severance.

I didn't like the prospect of being without a job for a year, even if I was going to be paid. Tejas Broadcasting had been tring to get Sunburst to let me be their Controller as well as the Sunburst Controller for the past year, but they couldn't agree on a division of my salary. Tejas thought I made too much. They wanted and need half or more of my time but they didn't wnat to pay half my salary. The owners of Tejas also owned a portion of Sunburst.

With the news from Don, I gave Tejas a call to see if we could work something out. I agreed to less overall money, agreed to convert to an accounting system housed in the Tejas corporate offices, work out of Fort Worth several days a week, and waive the year's severance. I really thought I would be able to get everything done for both Sunburst and Tejas in 4 days and cut back my work week accordingly. It hasn't worked out that way, but I'm not complaining.

It's been a fun and very busy year. The Tejas stations were in Amarillo and Corpus Christi and were essentially the same stations that I worked with at Rodriguez/Amigo. There was a lot to clean up and catch up with their books, but it was fun. Some of the same people still worked at the stations that I'd worked with 6-7 years earlier, so that was good. The drive to Fort Worth is far more pleasant than the drive to Dallas and I can work from my home almost as if I was working in the Fort Worth office. The only thing is I can't print checks and a lot of accounting reports from anywhere but the Fort Worth office.

All the work kept me from posting, but I'll resume soon, I hope.

No comments: