Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Grandkids are geat!

We had all six of our gandkids over Thursday night. First, Ben brought over 2 month old Jack and we got to play wih him. What joy, especially when he smiles at you. They stayed about an hour and it was time to take him home and put him to bed.

Then came the next crew. The older grandkids were going to spend the night. We expected Abby, Grant, Claire, and Tessa but Ben surprised us and came, too. I don't know if it was the promise of chocolate chip cookies or the fact that the A/C was on the blink at his house, but 13 year old Ben joined the 3 through 9 year olds for the evening. We played games (Grant killed us at Flinch), watched a movie, ate cookies, and then got ready for bed.

Ben slept in great grandma's (Kay's great) bed while the other kids slept in the den - Abby and Grant on couches and Claire an Tessa on an egg crate on the floor.

As the lights were going off Tessa said sadly, "I'm scared. My mommy always cuddles me before I go to bed." So, I crawled down on the floor and laid down beside her. She reached out and put one hand on my hand and the other on my cheek. I put my free hand around her and hugged her and we laid there, me waiting for everyone to go to sleep and enjoying the time with my grandkids. Claire and Grant were gone in a flash while Abby continued to talk to anyone who would listen. Very shortly, she was asleep too. Tessa's eyes were closed and I felt her hand slide limply off my cheek. I moved her hand off mine and laid there a little while longer, savoring the moment and thanking God for these precious gifts in my life.

After being assured that everyone was asleep I got up off the floor and went to bed, totally blessed. Grandkids are grea!

No comments: